Leicester Mercury – July 22, 2008


Advice is being offered over the safety of old film reels

ARCHIVISTS are offering advice to the owners of old film reels which could be a fire hazard.

In Saturday’s Leicester Mercury we reported that a box of 100-year-old cinema film exploded after producing flammable gasses which self combusted.

The fire seriously damaged the home of Shepshed couple Kevin and Jan Barnes

Now, experts from the Media Archive for Central England, the region’s public film archive at Leicester University, are urging anyone with concerns to contact them. Archive director James Patterson said:”Whatever its gauge, surviving film material is important in reflecting the history of the region and should not be discarded.”

“Even the humblest of home movies or home videos provide a fascinating insight into our past”. “We can advise and help readers who might be concerned about film that they have in their possession.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s