On Monday, 15th November, I was kindly invited along by Senior Archivist Rhys Griffith to the Herefordshire History & Archives Forum to discuss the MACE (Media Archive for Central England) Full Circle Project.
The Full Circle film search project is funded by the Heritage Lottery with the aim being to work with community groups in order to preserve the people of the Midlands home-movies and then copy them into a format that as many people will be able to enjoy watching once more.
The project will run until March 2013 and is searching for Midlands related moving image materials captured by the people who are at the very heart of their community.
The Herefordshire History and Archives forum was attended by representative from a number of groups, including:
- Jeff White – Cradley Heritage Group
- Pam Hatherly – Leintwardine History Society
- Anne Abbotts – Wellington Heath Archive Group
- David Clark – Fownhope History Group
- Barbara Ferris – Dinedor Heritage Group
- Mal Mason – Eardisley History Group
- Dave Tristram – Herefordshire Council – Regeneration
- Anita Syers-Gibson – Independent Volunteer
- Barry Lawrence – Much Cowarne History Group
- Alex Hoyle – Bromyard and District Local History Society
- Mark Robinson – Webb-SHARE
- Sue Knox – Herefordshire Council – Museum Development
- Irene Orchard – Archive of Cider Pomology
After catching up on the latest activities from each member, I gave a short presentation about the MACE archive Full Circle Project, and discussed why it was important that communities get involved in preserving their communities screen heritage.
As a way of promoting the Full Circle Project’s search for film, I put on a film, kindly compiled by MACE programmer Phil Leach, showing clips taken from a selection of the ATV collection that is held at MACE.
The clips were from taken from news stories that had made headlines over the past 40+ years. A glimpse of life in Herefordshire and some of the well-known characters that play a part in the making of Herefordshire history.
For more information on the Full Circle Project or to find out who your local participating group is please contact Lucie Kerley – Full Circle Project Curator at MACE. Tel: 0116 252 5931 0r Mob: 07919 896 505 email: email@example.com
To see more clips of Hereford or from other parts of the Midlands region check out www.macearchive.org and take a look at our online catalogue.
Photographs copyright Lucie Kerley.